Tuesday, February 8, 2011

what now?

I have been trying to think of this year and what I will do with it.  Apart from study I am also involved in a few exhibitions that I need to think about.  My brain doesn't want to settle on anything, I seem to be floating and unsure on my next moves.  I am reading.  I have a few books on the go:  Formless: a User's Guide, one that I acquired weeks back ; I am reading a chapter of The Logic of Senses by Gilles Deleuze which is giving me a headache as my understanding of ancient (or modern for that matter) philosophy is pretty poor;  The Great Dialogues of Plato for obvious reasons: and Creations of the Mind is on the back burner.  My mind is itching to make but I feel that my body needs a break.

There was a Blacksmith Doris meeting on Saturday.  Doris is a group of women who are learning to blacksmith.  I had a large piece of pipe waiting to work on and I asked for it to be worked on under the power hammer.  To work the power hammer at the ABA Vic, where Doris is hosted, you need to be inducted into the magical arts of the beast.  I haven't as yet.  Someone else worked it for me.  The tools for this machine made me think of myself as Hans Christian Anderson's Thumbalina but when I was allowed to help I felt like a warrior princess preparing for battle.  Anyway, the end result was a steel tube that had been fullered in two spots.  Below is a drawing of sorts.



No comments:

Post a Comment