Thursday, December 2, 2010

tablecloth

The pattern on a tablecloth is predictable.  If you trace the pattern around with finger or eye it follows a logical order.  The fibre of a lace cloth ages.  Threads unravel from a break in the fabric.  Steel on the other hand does not have threads.


my grandmother's doily stained with tea



cardboard pattern
cardboard pattern
steel template



steel template

The pattern I am using was found on a doily of my grandmothers.  It unravelled in parts but the basic pattern still remains.  I copied the lace pattern onto paper.
With the paper pattern that I created I made a template in steel using the plasma cutter.  I will lay the template on the steel sheet for the tablecloth and cut with the plasma.  The plasma cutter is imprecise in its cutting, unlike laser cutting which is exact.  This act places a couple of processes between the fabric lace pattern and the final steel piece.  I am creating an entropic state within the piece.  How far can I take this degeneration of the pattern before it ceases to be a pattern?

2 comments: