Thursday, January 3, 2013

Studio 20/17 - For the Love of Coffee

I seem to have a habit of writing about an exhibition long gone.

These are images from For The Love Of COFFEE an exhibition held at Studio 20/17 which was curated by Zoe BrandVernon Bowden.  I was unable to attend but I have been told that it looked fabulous.  Other makers who participated:  



We were given a questionnaire on the importance of coffee in our life:

Q1) On a scale of 1 - 10 (ten being the most) what is your level of obsession/need
for coffee?
8

Q2) How would you describe the level of your daily coffee intake?
I need one coffee a day and then I am happy.

Q3) What does your coffee routine entail?
I have my one coffee at the beginning of my day, unless it is the weekend or in the city
when I have two a day. My morning coffee is made on the stove first thing in the morning.
The only hassle is - who is willing to climb out of a warm snug bed to make it.

Q4) How do you take your coffee?
I have a black espresso, with honey at home. In the city I may I have an extra, which is a
caffé latte (yum) again with honey.

Q5) Could you give us a short anecdote about coffee and your jewellery practice?
I visited a woman whom I admire. Her work is as strong as her opinions and, as it
turns out, her coffee. She poured espressos as I poured out my anxieties. I had
recently completed a post graduate course and felt overwhelmed with fears as I was
struck with the realisation that life was not just about me. I was creatively inert with
panic. We chatted for a long time as the rain came down in torrents outside. It was
cold out but the coffee warmed our hands as they wrapped around mugs. We chatted
about teaching, learning and making through the fear. Her wisdom warmed my soul,
her coffee woke me up. I went home and worked as I hadn’t in a while. That pot of coffee
is responsible for my latest work - for better or for worse.

That is a true story of the work and there is more information about these pieces on The Can Project.






No comments:

Post a Comment