Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Transgression - an act that goes against a law/rule/code

Pending is hanging in  Off The Kerb gallery space now waiting for finishing touches.  
I need to adjust the height of the pieces and add the scale (the residue from the forging process), though after a phone call today, I will also be looking at the problem of dripping oil.  It is an interesting, serendipitous problem created when I tried to make the rope that I am using to suspend the objects, from Conduit plus one, dirty.  


Soaking the rope in the mud patch that is our back yard to age it hadn't worked as, when dried, it clung to the outside and fell away when touched.


I thought that maybe it would work if I oiled the rope and then rub coke dust (fuel for the blacksmithing forge) into the fibres of the rope.  On completion of this process I realised the flaws of my plan.  The rope oozed oil!  Every touch of the rope left dirty marks.  It would be fine though I neither knew how the gallery Director, Shini Pararajasingham, nor the curator, Michael Carolan, would feel about the oily dirt.  Luckily, they were fine about it.  


Now, I just have to deal with the dripping oil on the gallery floor.

Remnants of the offending rope

2 comments:

  1. Well, if it was a vehicle dripping oil you'd just stick a tin can under it, no? xx m

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Nick and I were discussing the very same thing last night. I've sorted it. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I will let it drip onto the floor and there will be no tin underneath. After a rest from my day's work I will let you know how it was dealt with.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete